Medpace’s central lab has a tenured presence in China. We have been operating in Beijing for over 10 years in a wholly Medpace owned central laboratory that was founded in 2009. Medpace’s China laboratory has CAP accreditation as well as NGSP level 1 accreditation and CDC Part III Standardization. As China is opening its pharmaceutical and clinical trial sectors, Medpace’s central lab in China is well-positioned to help Sponsors conduct Phase I through IV clinical trials in China including large cardiovascular outcome trials.
We are excited to share that as part of our efforts to expand laboratory services and capabilities, specifically in Asia, Medpace has relocated our central laboratory facilities from Beijing to Shanghai. The Shanghai lab is conveniently located in the pharmaceutical sector of the city. The Shanghai location is a larger laboratory (with a 180% increase in space) and has allowed Medpace to expand capabilities in order to better service our client’s clinical trials in China.
Square Meters (SQM) Highlights of the Shanghai Expansion
- + 279 SQM for the Laboratory
- + 107 SQM for Logistics
- + 65 SQM for the Microbiology laboratory
- + 50 SQM for the Biorepository
Our Shanghai lab, as well as our other global laboratory locations, are wholly-owned and purpose-built with state-of-the-art infrastructure. They have the same testing instrumentation, follow global operating procedures, and utilize a global laboratory information system. Validations in the Shanghai laboratory are cross-validated with the global labs and all Medpace laboratories participate in a weekly interlaboratory correlation program to ensure perfect harmonization of global data.
Medpace China testing capabilities
- Safety testing: chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, serology, and coagulation
- Biomarkers including ligand-binding (ELISA) assays, automated immunoassays, nephelometry, and lipid biomarkers (including preparative ultracentrifugation for LDL cholesterol)
- Biorepository on site
- Full microbiology capabilities including aerobic and anaerobic cultures, MALDI-TOF identification, and susceptibility testing
- Testing supporting trials in the following therapeutic areas: Infectious Disease, Cardiology/Vascular Diseases, CNS/Neurology, Endocrinology/Metabolic, Gastroenterology, Hematology/Oncology, Immunology, and Nephrology/Urology
Medpace Shanghai Team and Leadership
Medpace’s Shanghai laboratory is led by an experienced on-site Laboratory Manager and is staffed by technologists who have combined decades of experience in central laboratory testing. We have on-site Project Managers that manage studies conducted in China and are integrated into the global project management team. The laboratory also has strong leadership to manage local operations and to ensure alignment with Medpace’s global processes.
Paul Thiam Joo Tan, PhD
Director, Clinical Laboratory Services
- With Medpace since 2018
- Previously served as laboratory director for laboratories in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Indonesia
- PhD Bioinformatics
- Therapeutic area experience includes Next-Generation Sequencing in pathology and oncology, genomics, immunology, blood stem cell banking, infectious diseases and molecular diagnostics
Chris Daniels, PhD
Director, Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- With Medpace since 2014
- Global responsibility for assay validation oversight and scientific consulting
- PhD Biomedical Sciences
- Experience with cardiovascular, metabolic, and pathophysiology
Traci Turner, MD, MT(ASCP)
Vice-President, MRL Operations
- Global responsibility for Medpace Central Labs operations since 2011
- Diplomate, American Board of Clinical Lipidology 2013
- MD – Board Certification in Internal Medicine 2004
- 15 years of clinical laboratory experience from the bench to management 1982-97
About Medpace’s Central Laboratories
Strategically located in the US, Belgium, China, and Singapore, Medpace’s central laboratories have the global reach and capability to conduct studies, assist with regulatory requirements, and deliver custom solutions specific to the Sponsor’s needs.
Medpace provides customized, high-quality central laboratory services to pharmaceutical and biotech clinical development industries. Our four wholly-owned laboratories offer full-service support to six continents for phase I-IV studies. We have extensive experience from small and simple clinical trials to those that are large, global, and complex.
Our wholly-owned global laboratory facilities, standardized testing platforms, comprehensive test menu, and stellar project management teams allow Medpace to set up fully customized projects for our clients. Combined with Medpace Clinical Research Organization expertise, we provide a fully integrated solution for your clinical development needs.
Learn more about Medpace’s central laboratories.